After a Loss

According to the most commonly used home owners policy, in case of a loss to covered property, you must see that the following are done:

  1. Give prompt notice to us or our agent.
  2. Notify the police in case of loss by theft.
  3. Notify the credit card or fund transfer. card company in case of loss under Credit Card or Fund Transfer Card coverage.
  4. Protect the property from further damage. If repairs to the property are required, you must:
    • Make reasonable and necessary repairs to protect the property, and
    • Keep an accurate record of repair expenses.
  5. Prepare an inventory of damaged personal property showing the quantity, description, actual cash value and amount of loss. Attach all bills, receipts and related documents that justify the figures in the inventory.
  6. As often as we reasonably require:
    • Show the damaged property,
    • Provide us with records and documents we request and permit us to make copies, and
    • Submit to examination under oath while not in the presence of any other insuredand sign the same.
  7. Send to us, within 60 days after our request, your signed, sworn proof of loss which sets forth, to the best of your knowledge and belief
    • The time and cause of loss
    • The interest of the “insured” and all others in the property involved and all liens on the property;
    • Other insurance which may cover the loss;
    • Changes in title or occupancy of the property during the term of the policy;
    • Specifications of damaged buildings and detailed repair estimates;
    • The inventory of damaged personal property described in the 2.e. above;
    • Receipts for additional living expenses incurred and records that support the fair rental value loss; and
    • Evidence or affidavit that supports a claim under the Credit Card, Fund Transfer Card, Forgery and Counterfeit Money coverage, stating the amount and cause of loss.

HO 00 03 04 91 Copyright Insurance Services Office, Inc. 1990 Pages 9 and 10 of 18